I suggested at our last meeting that we might want to consider a quasi-Book-Club approach to Humanism. We agreed that it would be workable if individuals decided to read a book on their own and present a synopsis/report to the group for some discussion.
Some of my suggestions are below. But The Humanist Press has a very wide selection of its own at http://humanistpress.businesscatalyst.com/
My suggestions, which are not strictly atheist-oriented but rather approach the subject of Humanism via a redefinition of what the concept of “God” means and stands for:
- Adam Frank, The Constant Fire: Beyond the Science vs. Religion Debate (2009)
- Stuart A. Kaufman, Reinventing the Sacred: A New View of Science, Reason, and Religion (2008)
- Francis S. Collins, The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief (2006)
- Bernard Haisch, The God Theory: Universes, Zero-Point Fields, and What’s Behind It All (2006) [an easier read than it sounds!]
- Paul Davies, The Mind of God: The Scientific Basis for a Rational World (1993)