Fixing problems with the old blog. Maybe we’ll resurrect this?
Tonight’s Humanist Movie night has been CANCELLED due to snow.
<Insert “act of God” joke here>
We will reschedule!
The Winter 2015 issue of Renegade is now available!
When The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Light The Night Walk funds treatments that save lives, it’s all due to people like you. Without your efforts LLS could not provide these lifesaving treatments. LLS really is making cures happen with your help.
Friends, families and co-workers form fundraising teams and millions of consumers help by donating at retail outlets. These efforts culminate in inspirational, memorable evening walks in over two hundred communities each fall across North America.
Please join our team’s effort today by registering to walk or by making a donation. Your participation in the Light The Night Walk will save lives today. Be sure to check our team Web site frequently to see our progress, and thanks for your support!
The South Jersey Humanists are participating in this weekend’s AIDS Walk on the Boardwalk in Atlantic City.
It’s not too late to register as a walker or to donate to our team’s page!
- Author of The Outcast Oracle and Fog and Other Stories (Humanist Press)
- Jenny Kidd (Vagabondage Press)
- Beneath the Lion’s Paw; Snow, Shadows, a Stranger; The Sea & Beyond (FootHills: poetry)
- Website: www.lauryaegan.com
- Blog: www.lauryaeganblog.
I suggested at our last meeting that we might want to consider a quasi-Book-Club approach to Humanism. We agreed that it would be workable if individuals decided to read a book on their own and present a synopsis/report to the group for some discussion.
Some of my suggestions are below. But The Humanist Press has a very wide selection of its own at http://humanistpress.businesscatalyst.com/
My suggestions, which are not strictly atheist-oriented but rather approach the subject of Humanism via a redefinition of what the concept of “God” means and stands for:
- Adam Frank, The Constant Fire: Beyond the Science vs. Religion Debate (2009)
- Stuart A. Kaufman, Reinventing the Sacred: A New View of Science, Reason, and Religion (2008)
- Francis S. Collins, The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief (2006)
- Bernard Haisch, The God Theory: Universes, Zero-Point Fields, and What’s Behind It All (2006) [an easier read than it sounds!]
- Paul Davies, The Mind of God: The Scientific Basis for a Rational World (1993)
Next Meetup: Jan 24th at 10:30am.
Note the new location: the UU Center in Pomona across from Stockton College. Details at Meetup.com below:
In short: “Of course we don’t believe in evolution. Look at us — we’re de-evolving right before your eyes!”
(Hat-tip to Josh D.)